Medical Assistant 2
Company: Healthcare Partners
Location: Redondo Beach
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Overview (Summary) of Responsibilities:
Responsible for performing complex and/or specialized
patient-oriented procedures under the supervision of a clinician,
Registered Nurse (RN), or Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) to ensure
safe patient care.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that
demonstrate Optum's commitment to superior customer service,
including quality, care, and concern with internal and external
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients' protected health
information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Checks Touchworks for patients' arrival status and escorts
patients from waiting area to exam rooms. Escorts patients to
ancillary services as needed.
- Obtains, records, and reports vital signs and other pertinent
patient information to RN, LVN, or clinician.
- Performs various procedures such as ear lavage, ECG,
spirometry, injections, peak flows, pulse oximetry, breathing
treatments, suture removals, wound dressings, vision/hearing tests,
urine pregnancy tests, urine dips, blood glucose testing, and blood
hemoglobin (hemocue) testing.
- Performs phlebotomy and processes lab specimens (i.e., 24 hour
urine, wound cultures obtained by clinician, biopsy specimens
obtained by clinician, etc.) and maintains lab specimen logs as
- Assists clinician with procedures (pap smears, laceration
repairs, other minor surgical procedures) and may assists with more
complex department specific specialty procedures (i.e. vasectomies,
cystoscopies, thoracentesis, sigmoidoscopies, bunionectomies, joint
aspirations, lance surgery, photo therapy, visual fields,
pachymetry testing, etc.).
- Performs medication administration within scope of practice and
documents administration of medications and procedures in
Touchworks. Ensures proper documentation of medication
administration and documentation procedures in Touchworks.
- Maintains and cleans exam/treatment areas, specimen processing
areas, and medical equipment. Transports dirty equipment, performs
autoclaving and cold sterilization, and maintains autoclave, cidex,
and A-test logs. Cleans and stocks exam rooms, treatment/procedure
rooms, specimen processing areas, and nursing stations.
- Maintains various logs and tickler files and ensures confirmed
EKGs are seen by clinician. Maintains cancer/melanoma patients'
follow up appointments.
- Instructs patient on lab, radiology, and other
procedure/testing preparations. Participates in visit closure with
patient and clinician by explaining next steps for lab, x-ray, RFS,
- Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information
between site and referred specialists, hospitals, Urgent Care
Centers, and ancillary testing facilities, etc. Forwards all pre-op
information to hospital surgeon. Participates in scheduling
specialty procedures (biopsies, minor surgeries, etc.).
- Tracks specialty procedures/patient volume on a daily basis
- Verifies with Optum Connect for approved or denied appointments
and follows up by scheduling patients. Enters "No shows" into IDX,
and performs "No Show" follow up procedures. Works bump list.
- Assists with the completion of appropriate forms (DMV,
- Updates patient demographic information in IDX.
- Performs patient record audits.
- Answers, directs, and follows up on incoming calls.Calls
patients as requested by clinician.
- Distributes incoming correspondence (faxes, consult notes, test
- Handles prescription refills as appropriate.
- Completes Patient Communication form and responds to patient
complaints when necessary.
- Assists with Pay for Performance (P4P) research, Hierarchical
Condition Categories (HCC) research, telephone call procedures, and
patient follow up procedures.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
- Participates in preparing department for internal and external
site audits from SCAN, DHS, etc.
- Participates regularly in skills competency evaluations.
Participates regularly in site staff and department meetings.
- Cross-trains into Care Team Member 1 and 2 positions when
- May assist with site marketing activities (i.e. health fairs,
senior Olympics, and other events).
- Maintains an independent patient schedule under the direct
supervision of a clinician.
- Functions as the department mentor, trainer and resource by
orienting new employees and coordinating staff schedules and
- Identifies and resolves daily department issues and concerns
and escalates to supervisor when necessary.
- Participates in the development of department policies and
- 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree from a
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Phlebotomy certificate.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare providers" (AHA) or "CPR/AED
for the Professional Rescuer" (American Red Cross).
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) preferred.
- Over one year of previous Medical Assistant work
- Over 1 year experience as an Optum medical assistant.
- Over 1 year of experience in a specialty field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to demonstrate basic medication administration
- Manual dexterity to use/handle equipment and instruments.
- Knowledge of infection control standards and utilization of
Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
- Ability to perform essential job functions using proper body
- Basic Life Support for healthcare providers.
- Computer literate (i.e., logging on to computer, usage of
keyboard and mouse, familiarity with Windows and email
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability
to read, write, speak and understand English clearly.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.
What's the first thing that happens when one of the leading
independent medical groups in the country comes together with a
global leader in health care? Opportunity. With DaVita Medical
Group, HealthCare Partners, The Everett Clinic, Northwest
Physicians Network, MountainView Medical Group and Magan Medical
Clinic joining OptumCare and the UnitedHealth Group family of
companies, people like you will find increasing levels of
challenge, impact and professional success. We're changing health
care for the better by improving access to affordable, high quality
care, and working together to improve the patient experience. That
takes passion, commitment, intense focus and the ability to
contribute effectively in a highly collaborative team environment.
Are you with us? Learn more about this exciting opportunity to do
your life's best work.(SM)
Careers with OptumCare. Here's the idea. We built an entire
organization around one giant objective; make the health system
work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the
world's large accumulation of health - related information, or
guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for
millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and
uncover new ways to serve. OptumCare, part of the UnitedHealth
Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest
minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in
order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working
on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that
matter. Here you'll find incredible ideas in one incredible company
and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(SM)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare and its
affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected
veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any
other characteristic protected by law. OptumCare and its affiliated
medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required
to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Healthcare Partners, Redondo Beach , Medical Assistant 2, Other , Redondo Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!