Principal Mechanical Design Engineer (Additive Manufacturing)
Company: Northrop Grumman
Location: Redondo Beach
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Principal Mechanical Design Engineer (Additive
- Clearance Type: None
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be
- Positions Available: 2 At Northrop Grumman, our employees have
incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that
impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations
to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be
at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's
history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to
stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who
have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces
to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture
thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing
your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do
what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of
history, they're making history.
Strategic Space Systems Division (SSSD) is an industry-leading
provider of prime satellite and payload capabilities and directed
energy and electronics solutions for national security, military,
and civil customers. We are built on a heritage of providing
innovative, affordable, and reliable aerospace and defense products
that our customers rely on to achieve mission success. Join the
Space revolution and make the impossible, possible.
Northrop Grumman Strategic Space Systems Division (SSSD) has an
opening for a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer (Additive
Manufacturing) to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals
in the Vehicle & Software Engineering Department. This position
will be located in Redondo Beach, California .
- Performs design of additively manufactured products, supports
additively manufactured product manufacturing and testing, and
executes research and development tasks supporting the maturation
of novel additive manufacturing technologies.
- Participates in the resolution of complex Mechanical Design
problems for space-based platforms and missions involving the
analysis of propulsion systems, and metallic and composite
- Designs, researches and develops structural engineering
specifications involving metals, non-metallic, or composite
structural materials for product design, or operation of product to
include structures, mechanical, hydraulic, electrical and
electronics, power plant, armament, heating and ventilating,
equipment and maintenance designs.
- Analyzes damage tolerance, durability, design allowables, and
- Tools utilized may include: CATIA, 3DX, nTopology, and a
variety of other software applications.
In addition, the Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible for
- Develop additively manufactured component designs
- Perform Mechanical Design of propulsion systems, structures,
- Perform requirements definition, preliminary analysis of
layouts, detail designs, and final drawing release.
- Work closely with analysis, manufacturing, materials and
processes, and test to develop design requirements, define
structural load paths, develop CAD models and perform detailed
design for engineering drawings to fabricate flight and structural
- Layout sizing, and structural integrity evaluations.
- Review of requirements for materials, structure systems &
- Participate and present in internal and external (customer)
- Manage and track multiple priorities while maintaining focus on
common project goals.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering
or Mathematics) discipline from an accredited university with 5
years of engineering experience OR Master's Degree in STEM with 3
years of engineering experience OR Ph.D. in STEM with 0 years of
- Experience in Composite and Metallic materials Mechanical
- Experience with additive manufacturing processes
- Experience with Computer Aided Design (CAD) Tools.
- Candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a Dept of Defense
Top Secret level -AND/OR - SCI access with a Single Scope
Background Investigation (SSBI)
- Prior Additively Manufactured Space Products experience
- Minimum of two years of experience with applying additive
manufacturing and 3D printing technologies to the development
and/or production of deliverable products
- Experience with powder bed fusion and/or directed energy
deposition metallic additive manufacturing processes
- Proficiency in CATIA or 3DX.
- Experience with metallic and composite structures sizing.
- Experience with Finite Element Analyses Tools.
- Active Dept of Defense Top Secret clearance with a background
investigation date within 6 years -AND/OR - Active SCI access with
a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 6
Northrop Grumman offers a competitive and robust benefits program.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman, you are eligible for:
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Educational Assistance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Discounts Salary Range: $104,600 USD - $157,000 USD
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to
base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual
contributions as well as allow employees to share in company
results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be
eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman
provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage,
life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays
and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business. The
health and safety of our employees and their families is a top
priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on
their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be
required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved
disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future
court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed
federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042
Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion,
creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other
protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency
statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S.
Citizenship is required for most positions.
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity,
cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions
that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and
paid time off.Did you know?Northrop Grumman leads the industry team
for NASA's James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex
and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021,
the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology,
and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our
understanding of the universe.
Keywords: Northrop Grumman, Redondo Beach , Principal Mechanical Design Engineer (Additive Manufacturing), Engineering , Redondo Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...