Sr. Principal Data & Instrumentation Wind Tunnel Engineer
Company: Northrop Grumman
Location: Redondo Beach
Posted on: January 21, 2023
Sr. Principal Data & Instrumentation Wind Tunnel Engineer
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 25% of the Time
- Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be
- Positions Available: 1 At Northrop Grumman, our employees have
incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that
impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations
to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be
at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's
history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to
stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who
have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces
to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture
thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing
your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do
what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of
history, they're making history.
The Data Engineer will be supporting wind tunnel and ground test
activities. Responsibilities will include the following tasks:
developing data reduction and data analysis tools, source selection
and implementation of data acquisition hardware and software,
instrumentation sensor selection and specification, and
maintaining/upgrading existing facility systems. Duties include
supporting fellow engineers with the preparation of system
specifications, statements of work, drawings and schematics that
satisfy test and system requirements. Design and adapt data system
interfaces to specific testing needs. Design, develop and maintain
databases that manage test instrumentation and data system
requirements. Support engineering requests for data products and
assist in analytical data processing. Prospective candidates will
also provide full-spectrum data engineering support for tests
conducted at company facilities as well as company sponsored tests
located at other facilities.Essential Functions:
- Follow test methods, procedures, and standards during the
performance of tests.
- Write data reduction and processing code as needed to support
special and unique testing efforts.
- Program in engineering software environments (e.g. LabView,
Python, C++, Fortran) to create PID control systems for unique
- Utilize strain gages, pressure transducers, thermocouples,
RTDs, accelerometers, ---etc. to accurately capture the state and
condition of test hardware.
- Conduct tests and record data to assist with engineering
evaluation and analysis.
- Work with team leads to provide guidance and selection of
instrumentation, sensors and tools to meet test objectives.
- Setup of equipment and instrumentation in accordance with test
procedures and specifications.
- Produce engineering documentation, reports, drawings, and
- Develop, update, and maintain wind tunnel test processes and
- Prepare presentations that convey project status and
challenges, and communicate to leadership as needed, along with
contributing towards the department's technical tools and
- Support offsite testing activities.Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology,
Engineering, Math) from an accredited university with 8 years of
relevant industry experience.
- A current active in-scope U.S. Government (DoD) Department of
Defense Secret security clearance and ability to obtain special
program access is required.
- Comprehend aerodynamic and propulsion principles and
- Applicants must have familiarity with coding in common
engineering languages, e.g. C/C++, Python, Matlab, and
- Basic understanding of Wheatstone bridge sensors, strain gages,
thermocouples, accelerometers, optical encoders.
- Systems engineering experience with the ability to identify and
interpret requirements and generate ICDs (Interface Control
- Ability to read, interpret and implement technical drawings,
electrical schematics, requirements specifications and test
- Familiarity with electronic equipment such as oscilloscopes,
spectrum analyzers, signal generators, power supplies and
- Highly motivated and willing to quickly learn aspects of wind
tunnel testing and data acquisition.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.Preferred
- Bachelors/Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering with focus on
controls or applications with instrumentation and data
- 10 years of engineering experience in an aerospace engineering
- Experience in electro-mechanical assembly (soldering irons,
- Experience with wind tunnel operations and testing
- Direct hands-on experience with data acquisition systems and
- Experience with electro-mechanical controls engineering
- Knowledge of specialized wind tunnel instrumentation types and
their usage (force balances, electronically scanned pressure
modules, hot wire anemometry).
- Strain gage design, selection and application experience.
- Understanding of metrology, uncertainty analysis, and sources
of measurement error.
- Knowledge with the Fortran programming language. Salary Range:
$129,700 USD - $194,500 USD Employees may be eligible for a
discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are
designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow
employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President
or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In
addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including
health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings
plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation
and/or personal business. The health and safety of our employees
and their families is a top priority. The company encourages
employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S.
Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be
vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious
accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government
action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate
under Executive Order 14042
Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion,
creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other
protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency
statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S.
Citizenship is required for most positions.
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity,
cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions
that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and
paid time off.Did you know?Northrop Grumman leads the industry team
for NASA's James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex
and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021,
the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology,
and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our
understanding of the universe.
Keywords: Northrop Grumman, Redondo Beach , Sr. Principal Data & Instrumentation Wind Tunnel Engineer, Engineering , Redondo Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!