Staff Thermal Engineer (Clearance Required)
Company: Northrop Grumman
Location: Redondo Beach
Posted on: November 18, 2022
Staff Thermal Engineer (Clearance Required)
- Location:Redondo Beach, California, United States of
- Clearance Type: Top Secret
- Telecommute: Yes-May consider hybrid teleworking for this
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Positions Available: 1 At Northrop Grumman, our employees have
incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that
impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations
to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be
at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's
history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to
stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who
have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces
to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture
thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing
your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do
what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of
history, they're making history.
Strategic Space Systems Division (SSSD) is an industry-leading
provider of prime satellite and payload capabilities and directed
energy and electronics solutions for national security, military,
and civil customers. We are built on a heritage of providing
innovative, affordable, and reliable aerospace and defense products
that our customers rely on to achieve mission success. Join the
Space revolution and make the impossible, possible.Northrop Grumman
Strategic Space Systems Division (SSSD) has an opening for a Staff
Thermal Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse
individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach,
The Staff Thermal Engineer will lead a small team of thermal
engineers contributing to the completion of design, fabrication,
test, and delivery of flight hardware.The selected candidate will
also possess an advanced understanding of the principles of
radiation and conduction heat transfer in conjunction with
environmental heating effects and parameters associated with
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Thermal systems requirements development and verification.
- Thermal systems trades and architectural development.
- Comprehend and analyze complex problems and develop
- Perform thermal analysis on space-based hardware using
industry-standard thermal analysis software/tools.
- Develop active and passive thermal designs using numerical
solutions and hand calculations.
- Identify and initiate corrective action of problems,
discrepancies, and deficiencies to ensure requirements (technical,
schedule, & cost) are met and product quality is not
- Apply technical expertise to the planning, design, development,
and testing of thermal systems, as well as perform correlation
- Collaborate and lead in a team environment to prioritize and
adjust tasks to accomplish the project result, prioritize multiple
responsibilities, and/or accomplishing them simultaneously.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to lead and mentor junior
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to interface with project management/IPT, RDE, SPM,
customer, program partners, and functional management.
Northrop Grumman offers a competitive and robust benefits program.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman, you are eligible for:
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Educational Assistance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
- Paid-Time off
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Discounts
- Flexible Schedules: For example, the ability to work a 9/80
work schedule, which allows an employee to work a nine-hour day
Monday through Thursday and take every other Friday off from work
- For more details, please view Northrop Grumman Benefits .
- Bachelor of Science degree in a STEM (Science, Technology,
Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an accredited
university with 14 years of engineering experience;Master of
Science degree with 12 years of engineering experience; OR Ph.D.
with 9 years of engineeringexperience.
- Must have experience with space vehicle thermal design and/or
- Must have experience in design, analysis, and integration
experience of spacecraft thermal systems.
- Candidate must have, and be able to maintain, at least ONE of
the following active U.S. Government security clearances:
*Dept of Defense Top Secret level with a background investigation
date within 6 years
*SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)
completed within 5 years
- Experience using thermal analysis tools (Thermal Desktop)
- Experience using aerospace standard design tools (NX,
- MS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with 12 years of
- Experience leading space vehicle thermal design and/or
- Experience working proposals
- Experience with Earned Value Management System.
- Demonstrated success in managing programs/projects to cost,
performance, and schedule requirements.
- Demonstrated success in leading and developing cross-functional
- Detail-oriented and have excellent verbal and written
communications skills, leadership skills, and organization
- Spacecraft and/or Payload background with experience through
the entire system lifecycle from concept, design, production,
integration, test, launch, to operation support.
- Experience working on thermal design and troubleshooting
- Current security clearance in good standing.
- Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in Aerospace or Mechanical
Engineering" Salary Range: $156,000 USD - $234,000 USD Employees
may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay.
Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as
well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in
Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term
Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of
benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability
insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off
(PTO) for vacation and/or personal business. The health and safety
of our employees and their families is a top priority. The company
encourages employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19
vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in
the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical
or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions
and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor
vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042
Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion,
creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other
protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency
statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S.
Citizenship is required for most positions.
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity,
cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions
that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and
paid time off.Did you know?Northrop Grumman leads the industry team
for NASA's James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex
and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021,
the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology,
and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our
understanding of the universe.
Keywords: Northrop Grumman, Redondo Beach , Staff Thermal Engineer (Clearance Required), Engineering , Redondo Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!