Wind Tunnel Test Engineer
Company: Northrop Grumman
Location: Redondo Beach
Posted on: November 17, 2022
- Location:Redondo Beach, California, United States of
- Clearance Type: Secret
- Telecommute: No- Teleworking not available for this
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 25% of the Time
- Positions Available: 1 At Northrop Grumman, our employees have
incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that
impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations
to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be
at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's
history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to
stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who
have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces
to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture
thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing
your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do
what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of
history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems has an opening for a Test
Engineer Data Analyst to join our team of qualified, diverse
individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.The
Project Test Engineer (PTE) is responsible for the coordination and
liaison between the design, fabrication, and test teams throughout
the entire wind tunnel project lifecycle. The Project Test Engineer
assists with technical planning and interpretation of Statements of
Work (SOW) to derive the most efficient test execution plan. They
are involved with all aspects of the effort, including project
planning, estimating, instrumentation selection, procurement,
shipping, transportation, data analysis, and all other tasks needed
to meet the SOW requirements. A critical aspect of the position is
coordinating with the model designers and stress engineers to
ensure the proper test setup and the acquisition of high quality
data, which is the ultimate product of the project.The Project Test
Engineer is the primary point of contact for coordination with
internal customers and test facilities as well. Upon traveling to
offsite test facilities, the Project Test Engineer then becomes the
Test Conductor for the duration of the test. Detailed documentation
of all design, fabrication, and test decisions, challenges, and
lessons learned are summarized by the Project Test Engineer in
post-test reports and summaries.Essential Functions:
- Provide guidance and selection of instrumentation sensors and
tools to meet test objectives.
- Setup of equipment and instrumentation in accordance with test
procedures and specifications.
- Conduct tests and record data to assist with engineering
evaluation and analysis.
- Write data reduction and processing code as needed to support
special and unique testing efforts.
- Follow test methods, procedures, and standards in the
performance of tests.
- Produce engineering documentation, reports, drawings, and
- Develop, update, and maintain wind tunnel test processes and
- Prepare presentations that convey project status and challenges
are communicated to leadership as needed, along with contributing
towards the department's technical tools and resources.
- Works closely with the project manager to track the budget &
schedule using Earned Value methods.Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology,
Engineering, Math) discipline from an accredited university and 5
years engineering experience, or a Master's Degree and 3 years
- A current active in-scope U.S. Government (DoD) Department of
Defense Secret security clearance and ability to obtain special
program access is required.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of aerodynamics and
- Familiarity with aerodynamic and aero-propulsion testing
methods & terminology.
- Experience with programming in modern or engineering languages
(C++, Matlab, Python)
- Ability and willingness to travel 25% of the time.
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings, electrical
schematics, requirements specifications and test
- Bachelors/Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering.
- Five years of engineering experience in an aerospace
- Experience with data processing and reduction methods;
understanding of sampling rates and data filtering.
- Experience with wind tunnel operations and testing
- Knowledge of specialized wind tunnel instrumentation types and
their usage (force balances, electronically scanned pressure
modules, hot wire anemometry).
- Direct hands-on experience with data acquisition systems and
- Experience with electro-mechanical controls engineering
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the
ability to relay technical engineering findings to senior
- A current active in-scope U.S. Government DoD Top Secret
clearance with current or previous Special Program Access. Salary
Range: $92,200 USD - $138,400 USD Employees may be eligible for a
discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are
designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow
employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President
or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In
addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including
health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings
plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation
and/or personal business. The health and safety of our employees
and their families is a top priority. The company encourages
employees to remain up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S.
Northrop Grumman employees may be required, in the future, to be
vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious
accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government
action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate
under Executive Order 14042
Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion,
creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other
protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency
statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S.
Citizenship is required for most positions.
- Be part of a culture that thrives on intellectual curiosity,
cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work.
- Use your skills to build and deliver innovative tech solutions
that protect the world and shape a better future.
- Enjoy benefits like work-life balance, education assistance and
paid time off.Did you know?Northrop Grumman leads the industry team
for NASA's James Webb Space Telescope, the largest, most complex
and powerful space telescope ever built. Launched in December 2021,
the telescope incorporates innovative design, advanced technology,
and groundbreaking engineering, and will fundamentally alter our
understanding of the universe.
Keywords: Northrop Grumman, Redondo Beach , Wind Tunnel Test Engineer, Engineering , Redondo Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!